Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Way They Pull at Your HEART

I thought I knew before what it would feel like to have children. When I was young I would make mental lists of the kind of parent I would be. I would be COOL, I would have an AWESOME, HUGE house that was ALWAYS clean, I would dress like a HIP MOM, my kids would LOVE to be around me, I would never RAISE MY VOICE, I would be the PERFECT person with the PERFECT life.

Sometimes I have those days, the days when shoes are left in the middle of the kitchen floor, sand from the playground is all over my freshly swept floors, my kids start fighting at 6:45 a.m., my kitchen (which I consider the heart of my home) is a mess, my older kids forget to practice their music, I lose my temper and I think I might lose my mind along with it. Those days I wonder if my heart can take more, I wonder if I will make it through raising my children, teaching them good principles. I wonder if because I yelled at them if it will affect them for the rest of their lives. And my heart starts to ache.

I had one of those days the other day. I finally made it into the shower, finally alone for a moment. My 5 year-old comes running into my room "MOM, MOM, MOM!" With all of the kindness I could find, I muttered through clenched teeth, "What sweetie!" He replies, "MOM I LOVE YOU!" and runs right out of the room. It's funny how my heart grew ten times within a minute, and all the aching was gone.

I don't need a huge house, I don't even need to be a cool mom...I just need my sweet kids to be part of my life. Really, that's what matters.

4 comments:

Amber said...

I love the new blog background! Kristine, you have 5 kids and you are one of the hippest, cutest, bestest moms I know.

Sheila said...

Kristine,

Well said, thanks for giving me that reminder! Just so you know, I think of you often when it comes to wondering what fantastic moms do with their kids. I think you're a mom with a mission and you're accomplishing it! Thanks for your example! Love you!

Sharee Gariety said...

Thanks for sharing--it made me cry! And I agree that you are a very hip & cute mom. :)

Julie Smith said...

I assume you've never gotten so mad over music lessons that you took a piano book and smacked the top of your 8 year old's head with it. Because that's what it's come to at our house in the last month. :) Sam declared that Mommy needed a time out. Alas, I will try to learn from your wisdom and repent.