Sunday, September 20, 2009

Flamenco


What a FUN night out! I headed up to Santa Fe with a group of friends to see our children's school LIBRARIAN perform at El Meson, a tapas bar.

First of all, Annie, our librarian, isn't Annie there...she's ANIKA, and man can she sing...holy bananas, I had no idea that she could do that. It's like she lives a double life or something.

The Flamenco Dancing was rhythmic and fun. I've learned a lot about Flamenco.
1. It consists of four main things...all very important...the cante (singer...that would be Anika), the guitarist, a percussionist and the dancers.
2. The percussion is amazing. The "palmas", or clapping is fast and dynamic. The foot movement is also amazing...it seems like a mixture of clogging and stomping. I felt it in my heart. And the percussionist sits on a "caja", which is a type of drum and pounds away on it. And...I had no idea that a tambourine could be so amazing. WHO KNEW! WOW!
3. The dancing was exhilarating...it's sharp, fast, slow, emotional and intense. And, I loved the costumes. They were colorful and frilly.
4. The guitar...I personally LOVE guitar music. Especially on a "Spanish" guitar which is made up of all nylon strings. I happen to own one, and use to play a little (oh so very little). The guitarist was very good, and I loved watching how fast his fingers were going.
5. And of course, the "CANTE". The singing is deep and moving. I just wish I knew more Spanish so I understood it. Anika was amazing....stole the show, in my opinion.

Finally, the COMPANY & FOOD were perfect. I love being with these ladies. They are so fun and smart and beautiful. And, I love TAPAS....a bit pricy, but yummy. GOOD TIMES.


(Tami, Liz, Cecy, ANIKA, Maria, Wendy, and me)

6 comments:

Amy said...

I remember your guitar... good times

Cecy said...

See, this is why I like reading your blog! You summed up the whole evening so nicely. And you didn't tell us you played the guitar!!!

asj said...

makes me miss the fun time with the gals in LA! so glad you got a girls night. you look fabulous!- amy

Julie Smith said...

You guys are party animals. I have to tell you that after Chad's dentist appointment yesterday, he was so excited to tell me that Dr. Lines likes the Red Sox. He said, "Before this appointment, I didn't like the dentist. Now I want to hang out with him on weekends." :)

Jaclyn B. said...

I'm glad to know my old friend has a little salsa blood in her like I do. If I lived in NM I would so have been there with you!

Unknown said...

I should be in that picture! What a great night- I would have loved it, because I love being with all of you.
Plan on us for next year's balloon fiesta!