Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I've Been a Parent for a DECADE

TODAY is Noah's Birthday, he is ten.

I've been a parent for a decade. Wow.

Noah has been so anxious for his birthday.  So have G and E. They were all awake by 6:30 this morning.  Noah waited patiently in his bed as we made him breakfast.  Who doesn't love breakfast in bed?!?

Three of the things I love and notice about Noah are:

1.  He loves to write.  He began his love for writing when he was five.  His first book was called:  Money, Money, Money.  A sequal to the book was called:  The Things You can Buy with Money.  Last night he was writing and I had to urge him to go to bed.  I'm sure I'm biased, but he happens to be a really good writer and I love reading his stories when he doesn't know I'm snooping.  I hang on to more work than I probably should...but really, who can blame me.

2.  He is very passionate, devoted and knowledgeable about anything he loves.  For example, 7 months ago he decided he wanted a pet snake.  I very much dislike snakes and was hoping this phase would pass.  He would research snakes on the internet and check books out of the library.  He would then present all of his research at Family Night, impressing us  with his knowledge.  He saved his money and kept talking about the day he would get a snake.  Well, his devotion  won my heart, and one month ago Noah became the owner of a ball python.  I'm sure this is one of those situations my own parents are laughing about...knowing how terrified I am of snakes.  

3.  Noah has a very inquisitive mind.  One of my favorite things to do is to spy on Derek and Noah when they are doing dishes together.  Noah is full of questions and Derek loves to have a good conversation about the world, religion, politics, sports, etc.  The other day I caught them in the middle of a deep conversation about the gospel of Jesus Christ.  It was so fun to see how a father was taking an opportunity to teach his son....and how eager Noah was to learn.  What a great moment.

Happy Birthday Noah!

And, I've made it through one decade.  That deserves a cupcake, don't you think?

1 comment:

Claire said...

Happy birthday to Noah. I enjoyed getting to know more about him. Also interested to hear how the snake dinner looks in slo mo.