Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Book Club

In February 2006, I started a book club.  I wasn't sure how it would go, or who would come.  In fact, there were exactly two moments that I thought it was going fade away into nothingness.  I'm so happy and excited that it is going strong.  This February will mark our 3 year anniversary.  There is usually somewhere between 8-12 women at every book club.  I love book club for the following reasons:

1. It challenges me to read books I would often not be reading.
2.  Women come together.  Some of the women I rarely see, so I love when they come to book club.  And, I love to see the variety of women.  Some grandma's, some working women, some stay at home moms, some divorced, some newly weds.  It is so cool!
3.  We laugh, cry, counsel, and share with each other.  We try to meet at my home every month. I have a little theory that the same environment every month allows us to feel more comfortable and willing to open up.  I love the insight and wisdom I learn from my dear book club friends.
4.  I love how each person gets something different out of the book.  I ALWAYS going away with a great appreciation for each book, even if I didn't initially love the book.
5.  I feel so educated.  Being a stay at home mom can sometimes take its' toll on the intellectual mind.  I feel like book club gives me a much needed intellectual stimuli.
6.  I love the refreshments.  Every month, the discussion leader brings food.  Sometimes, the food is connected to the book, and sometimes it is for pure delectable delight.  And, I love eating.
7.  Mostly, I love reading .  It opens my mind up to new challenging issues, it softens my heart to troubling issues around the world, and in the end it just makes me a better person.  Keep Reading!!!!

Here is a list of all the books we have read so far:

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
Peacegiver by James Ferrell
Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan
Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
1776 by David McCullough
A Mormon Mother by Annie Clark
Wild Swans, Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang
Death Comes to the Archbishop by Willa Cather
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
The Life of Pi by Yann Martel
The Wedding Dress by Carrie Young
Left to Tell Immaculee Ilibagiza
Wicked by Gregory Maguire
Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner
The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards
Austenland by Shannon Hale
Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Miriam's Kitchen by Elizabeth Ehrlich
Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross
A Long Way Gone:  Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmeal Beah
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortensen
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (this month!)
The Persian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas (next month)

7 comments:

Claire said...

I think it's very nice of you to let everyone come to your home each month. Also, apparently I need to start coming more often or just pay more rapt attention: there's been crying at book club???

Sheila said...

I loved Book Club in Yokosuka. I was happy to find they have one here, too. It's been great. We just read Mayflower, A Story of Courage, Commitment and War, by Nathaniel Philbrick. It's about the settlers of America. Very cool! I'm going to print out your list and take it to my book club! Kristine you rock! Miss you guys!

Theresa said...

I want to come :)

Amber said...

Kristine, I love my book club too and have found it to be such a blessing. I loved looking at your list of books. One of my faves, A Prayer for Owen Meany and my least faves, Wicked (love the show, not the book). Thanks for sharing the list! Try Water for Elephants if you haven't already.
Amber
Oh, and I like the new heading on your blog and please join Facebook.
A

Unknown said...

K-
we are reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn this month too, but I wish I was there, we get maybe 6 of us if we are lucky.
Miss you, tell book club hi
JoElle

Lane and Katie Eyre said...

So, I'm leaving a comment! Maria W. gave me a list of the books you've read and I've read a few. It's given me an opportunity to branch out with my reading choices... although I think my husband could do without me talking his ear off about it! haha..

Anonymous said...

I actually met Greg Mortensen in Salt Lake City. He did a presentation at the city library and he signed my book. :-)