Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Politics..Good and Bad!

As most of you know, I'm a Democrat.  I have been a Democrat since 8th grade.  I'm not joking.

I read this quote today.  Since I don't want to dwell on which side said it, I won't say.  But here it is:

"This election is not about issues," Davies said.  "This election is about a composite view of what people take away from these candidates."

Sometimes, when people I know are bashing a politician...I like to say to them, "What issues do you not agree with, or what issues are important to you going into this election?"  To my amazement, most of the time they say something like, "I'm not really familiar with the issues" or "I just think we can't trust him/her".  Those type of responses are really frustrating.  Just because we don't like a person, doesn't really mean that they aren't a good leader.  Or, maybe they have a bad personality, but that doesn't mean that they can't get anything done.  For me the politician I support will be one who has a platform that I agree with and the person that I think can get the job done.  You don't have to agree with me.  It's just where I'm coming from. 

However, I would love to hear three issues that matter the most to you going into this presidential election (if you would be willing to share).  There are other issues I care deeply about, but today, this is what I would say if you asked me:

Mine are:
1.  The war in Iraq (getting out of there as soon as possible, responsibly of course!)
2.  Health Care
3.  Economy

Please, I would love to know yours!   

On another note, I can hardly handle how the media tears politicians families apart.  I sincerely feel bad for the Palin family.  Govenor Palin's daughters pregnancy, or her husbands affiliation with another political party has nothing to do with her ability to be a VP.  

What an exciting election!


3 comments:

Claire said...

OK I will make the leap and leave a comment! Do I win a prize for my daring and bravery? I don't consider myself super knowledgeable by any means, but here's my three (in no particular order):

- taxes
- Iraq/Iran/Afghanistan
- moral issues (abortion, definition of marriage, etc.)

But is it really wrong to vote for one candidate over another just because you have been a Dem/Repub your whole life and they're your party's candidate?

Kathy said...

Hey Kristine!

Okay big things for me:

*Universal Health Care :(
*Taxes
*Economy-gas & food prices, offshore drilling
*border control
*the war
*those same "moral issues" Claire mentioned.

Those things are the issues Scott and I chat about all the time and feel are very important. I try to find stuff on both sides of issues because I feel we should really know what we believe. I think it's okay to chat about politics and beliefs to solidify what you believe or don't believe, until it gets ugly.

Maria said...

Here are the issues that are determining my vote:
- Energy - We have to curb our dependence on oil and a big push now will save us from a major crisis in the future.
- Healthcare - I am against universal healthcare.
- Immigration - This is a big issue that can be fixed in a relatively short amount of time (years, not decades).

There are other big issues - Social Security, Education, the Economy - but don't think either candidate has a very good plan to deal with them.