 |
| E's favorite thing to do at the park. |
Years ago, I sat through a church meeting where a young mother was asked to get up and share her feelings. I could tell the mother was taken back, not expecting or knowing that this would happen. Her very first words out her mouth were, 'I have felt so oppressed lately." It was something about her honesty that struck me. She was extremely busy raising 4 children. She felt pulled in so many directions. Every day was busy, running kids to lessons, school, etc. There were younger kids at home that needed attention and nurturing. A busy husband who worked long hours. A home that needed attention and love as well. She shared about a day that past week that she had some extra time to take the kids to the park to play for awhile. She sat there, watching them. It was the first time in a long time that she sat and watched, noticing her children. She started to sob....and explained that she took off her shoes, let the tiny granules of sand run through her toes, stood up and began to play, shoe-less with her children. That moment meant so much to her. That moment made her feel alive again.
The feelings and thoughts she shared have stuck with me. I often ask myself, "How can I create more shoe-less, play in the sand moments?"
Sometimes, I feel like I'm treading water...not really getting anywhere, but expending a lot of energy. The daily tasks of parenting and life fill up my time and zap my energy. I personally have found that if I want more 'shoe-less" moments, I'm just going to have to make them, and notice them. In fact, sometimes they are happening right in front of me but I do not see them. One day, when Eli was trying to get my attention, he looked at me and said, "Mom, it's like you are looking at me, but you aren't really seeing or listening to me." He was right.
I just really don't want time to slip too quickly. So, I'm pledging to myself to have more "shoe-less" moments this week. Savoring each molecule of time. Savoring the moments, however small and precious they may be.
1 comment:
Oh, I love this Kristine. I am recommitting to more "shoe-less moments" too. It's so true that you have to make time for them.
Post a Comment