Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Why I'm Happy I CHOSE to have 5 children

Whenever I'm at a restaurant or grocery store with ALL 5 of my kiddos....I always get comments (unless I'm in Utah visiting my parents...because lets be honest, it's not strange to walk into a store with 5 kids in Utah).  Mostly, people are just down right amazed saying things like,


"Well, you finally got your girl, I guess you can stop now", 

"You don't look like you've had five kids" (what exactly are you suppose to look like after five kids???) 
"Wow, what a beautiful family", 
"You must be busy."  

Whatever the comments are, I've come to really enjoy them.

We live in a day and age where families are smaller.  I think many feel that two children is just about right.  I realize that a lot of this has to do with women having many more choices in regards to birth control, education, careers, the rising cost of raising children, the fast society we live in,  wanting to be able to offer our children more.  I totally understand their reasons, and respect their decisions.  I hope they will do the same for me.

Many women cannot have children or have an extremely difficult time getting pregnant.  This must be so painful to see a woman like me who does not have that difficulty.  For whatever reason, it was not one of the trials I have been given in this life.  My heart honestly aches for these women.

Here are FIVE reasons why I'm thankful I chose to have FIVE children: (there are more, but I will limit myself to five tonight)

1.  I'm so thankful that I get to love five incredibly interesting and different children.  I sometimes think what it would have been like if I decided to stop at 2, 3, or 4 kids.  Man, I really would have missed out.
2.  I LOVE having older children who help take care of and love the younger children.  To be 9 and 11 years old and to be able to experience love the way that Noah and Gabe do...it's priceless, and I believe an incredible gift that they have been given. It melts my heart when I see N or G rocking sweet Eden before bed or reading books to Eli and Soren.
3.  I'm so thankful that my five children have taught me the principles of sacrifice and patience.  They have changed me...made me better, made me more Christ-like.  Heaven knows I still have a long ways to go, but they certainly have helped.
4.  I'm thankful that I have five little souls that I get to influence.  I certainly hope I do a good job, its a huge responsibility.  I feel so lucky to be trusted with them.  I feel so lucky that I get to wake up every morning and be a mother.  Somedays I wish I could sleep in a  bit more or get a daily massage, but I'm so happy I get to be a mother X5!
5.  I'm thankful that there are seven of us in the home that will help each other over the years, seven people to call immediate family, 5 kids that will take care of me, 5 kids that will keep me laughing,  5 kids that will sometimes drive me crazy, 5 kids that are mine.

And of course none of it would be possible without that man of mine.  Best choice I've ever made!

I know this blog is a bit cheesy, but I've wanted declare for awhile that I'm so happy I made the choice I did.

6 comments:

McEntire Family said...

Thanks for a wonderful reminder and boost (cuz I'm pretty sure our family isn't complete - and people are floored when they ask if I'm done and I tell them I'm not)!

Sheila said...

Beautifully said! You're a great mother and an inspiration and my Jacob still talks about his good buddies Gabe and Noah. What great kids you have!

Cecy said...

I'm so glad you made your declaration, nicely said! Maybe people think a mother of 5 shouldn't be as thin, stylish, and happy as you are?! You inspire me.

Claire said...

I admire your mom skills and am glad you have your 5 kids, too. Especially that last one, so she can be friends with my little gal!

Sharee Gariety said...

I'm glad you declared too. :) I especially liked what you said about giving the older kids the chance to experience a deeper love than many kids have an opportunity to feel when they don't get to rock a little brother or sister or help read to them. I'd never thought about that, but I have been touched when I see my children take care and look out for each other too.

goofy feet said...

glad you shared this. good to be reminded that it's great to have a "big" family!
i get those comments a lot with only 3 kids. i think you get more sympathy with boys running around!