Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Easter--A week long celebration

Derek is not a big fan of the Easter Bunny.  I'm almost embarrassed to admit that our kids are not Easter Bunny believers.  We feel like Easter gets the short end of the stick when it comes to holidays.  Like holidays have feelings.  

Honestly, I can see his point.  Christmas is awesome...full of traditions, parties, stories, celebrations, music, Santa Claus, Nativity Stories, etc.  And, when we remember and celebrate the death and resurrection of our Savior, we get a lousy Easter Bunny and one weekend.  So...we try to make it a little bit more meaningful in our home.  A few years ago we started to do a Passover/Sader meal LDS-style.  Years ago when we were in Jerusalem, we participated in a Passover meal and loved it.  So...we found a book that explains how to adapt it for LDS beliefs.  We follow a dialogue, light candles, eat the bitter herbs, Matza, and kosher pork (hee, hee).  Honestly, we love doing it and try to invite different families  and try one new recipe every year.   We do all of our Easter Egg finding and decorating on Saturday, and on Sunday we have an Easter devotional where we can all be reminded of the importance of Jesus Christ, focusing on His Atonement and Resurrection.  

I was especially touched by the music and messages given at church on Sunday.  I felt so grateful to know that our Savior lives!  I feel like declaring it from the housetops...

So, Happy Belated Easter to all of you.  What a great time of year.

How Scrumptious!
If you think it is easy to get a picture of 5 kids, you are sadly mistaken.  Soren refused to put down his slice of bread he was taking to church as a snack. Gotta love these moments...



6 comments:

McEntire Family said...

We tried to be a little more Christ-centered this year too, and it was wonderful. Your kids are adorable. What is the book you use for the ideas?

Lane and Katie Eyre said...

I love your idea to make Easter more Christ centered. I too would like to know what book you got your info from. Your kiddos are so cute... good job on getting a semi-okay picture!!

Hey, send me your email address so I can add you to my blog-lkaeyre@gmail.com

Julie Smith said...

Oh, how well I know how hard it is to get 5 kids in a picture. I realized belatedly that I didn't even take a picture of my three girls in their matching Easter dresses. What is wrong with me?

Holly Park said...

I love those ideas! And btw, we can't even pull off a good picture of both Matt and me...at least you have a sweet little girl to take all the attention in pictures. ;)

Maria said...

We don't believe in the Easter Bunny at our house, either. Our poor deprived children.

Jocelyn said...

We did a Christ centered Passover this year. It was absolutely wonderful. Thanks for your help and ideas. We loved it so much that it will definitely be a new tradition. It was so nice to kick that Easter Bunny out of our house!! (Okay, we let him come on Friday and then we gave him the boot!!) By Saturday and Sunday we were able to focus on the wonderful reality of Easter!