Thursday, January 29, 2009

Happy Chinese New Year!

One of the things I love most about my mother-in-law is her enthusiasm for celebration. She called and said, "Let's celebrate the Chinese New Year for Family Home Evening this week!"  I quickly agreed that was a great idea!  

So, I decorated (with some help).  Noah, Gabe and I made everyone their own placemat decorated with their zodiac animal:



Lucynthia ordered the Chinese food and brought hats for us to wear!

The kids had so much fun--they put on a dragon puppet show with puppets they made at Grandma's house and then we all received an envelope with $1.00 in it from our elders after we did the traditional bow to each other (Grandma gave to us, we gave to our kids).  The only disappointing part of the night is that there wasn't the traditional $100 dollars in the envelope.

And of course, no Chinese New Year's celebration is complete without the "traditional" sword fight.  Thanks Derek and Scott for not leaving that part out!

2 comments:

Claire said...

Sweet FHE! Cool hats, too.

Amber said...

We celebrated Chinese New Year's too. We had yummy food, made some lanterns and read some books about China. I am going to have to make the Zodiac placemats next year!