Sunday, December 2, 2012

Being Married to Someone That's More Fun Than Me

I'm married to a really fun husband.
He's much more fun than I am.  He's a Yellow-White (for those that know the Color Code)...which basically means he's a fun peacemaker.  

I've been thinking about how marrying a man like this influences me.  For one, it makes me much more spontaneous, it helps me laugh a lot more, and it helps me not take myself so, so serious. And, he handles the kids (particularly our teenagers) so calmly and thoughtfully.  In other words, it really balances out my BLUE personality.  And, as I'm getting older, my solo blue personality is diversifying.  If it wasn't for Derek, I think I would be blue-red.  But instead, I'm blue-red-yellow.  Thanks honey....I'm more like a rainbow.

Because of Derek there is often dancing and singing in the kitchen, godzilla wars, watching of funny you-tube videos, and spontaneous runs to get shaved ice or ice cream.

And....the whole point of this post...the kids all adore him.  Their favorite weekend is when mom has something going on and they get to spend a whole evening soaking up dad time.  Last night was one of those nights.  I got home, everyone was so, so happy.  They were watching a movie, talking, eating junk food.  I heard myself saying, "It's now my turn to have dad's attention, please go to bed."  Seriously.  Did I just say that.  I have to bargain with my kids to make them let me have Derek time.  I seriously love it.  I love how Noah follows Derek around so they can continue an intriguing conversation, or how Eden bypasses my side of the bed to snuggle with her dad...or tell him that she is scared.  And, how everyday I hear....Where is dad?  When will he be home?  When can I go do something with dad?

I'm not the funnest parent and  I'm cool with that.
And, yes, sometimes the fun gets a little much....we have coined the phrase "slap-happy" which means...a little too crazy, we need a little more serious.  Don't get me wrong...Derek takes serious things serious.  Probably more so than I do sometimes.  Which is also what makes him incredibly cool...since he knows when to lay down the law with this kids, and knows when to make them laugh instead.

But sometimes, the "slap-happy" makes me go crazy too:}
Keepin' it real.





No comments: