It happened in the blink of an eye. One minute, driving up a beautiful canyon, the next lying sideways, with the seatbelt suspending us in the air. Glass crushed, tires spinning. Derek and I concerned for each others well-being. Then Derek saying (as we are still lying side ways in the car), "Well, this is really going to complicate things!"
We were heading up to a bishop's retreat for our church 10 days ago. It was held in Angel Fire, up the canyon from Taos. We came around a blind corner, a truck pulling a trailer was going fast, taking the turn wide. He was over in our lane a couple of feet. We had to swerve to miss him, hitting a loose gravel shoulder, spun 180 degrees, slid to the opposite side of the road, and tipped over on the passenger side. Although it happened so quickly, it really did feel like slow motion. Could this really be happening to us? How will this end? The truck drove on, unaware of what he/she had just caused. We could have died. We could have been severely injured. But, somehow, we weren't. We walked away completely whole and healthy. It truly was a miracle.
We came home to our five children. Our lives have gone on as usual. But, something has changed in me, really, in both of us. We express daily gratitude for what we believe was the hand of God acting in our lives. I do believe in a Heavenly Father. And, I do believe in guardian angels. Those living, and those unseen. Elder Holland teaches, “From the beginning down through the dispensations, God has used angels … in conveying love and concern for His children. … Seen or unseen they are always near” (“The Ministry of Angels,” Liahona andEnsign, Nov. 2008, 29).
I may never know what really happened that day. What I do know is that it could have ended very differently. I've played out many different scenarios in my mind. None ending as good as the reality.
I held my children a little closer this week. Looked deeper into their eyes. I held onto Derek tighter, too. I felt more alive, more here. Truly, my life will never be quite the same.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
OH My goodness I had no idea! How very scary and what a blessing that you guys were unharmed. So grateful you two wonderful people are okay. Miracles do happen.
WOW! So glad you two are whole! Thank you for sharing and helping me to remember what things are really important!
Kristine, just wanted to thank you for sharing your thoughts on this experience. I wanted to let you know that the quote you wrote from Jeffrey R. Holland changed our lives today. We're going through some crazy stuff right now and I was reading your blog this morning. I quickly texted that quote I saw that you wrote, to D who was getting ready to face a very difficult challenge. He told me later today that he felt his angel grandparents standing beside him holding him up. He was reminded of the tender mercies of the Lord because of that quote I sent. So, thanks for helping me out with that! :) I am so thankful that you and D are safe and thanks again for sharing your testimony of how imporatnt our families are, both living and passed. Love you friend.
Whoa! holy cow, I had no idea! I'm so glad you guys were kept safe, and thanks for sharing your testimony and your insights resulting from that experience. It makes me want to go kiss all my sleeping children. Thank goodness for tender mercies!
I didn't even know that happened. I am so grateful you were ok...Thank goodness for unseen miracles!!
Post a Comment